Hi everyone, I'm a new Doberman owner and I'm having some trouble controlling my 9-month-old puppy. He's extremely energetic and mischievous, constantly getting into things and disregarding commands. I've tried positive reinforcement and basic obedience training, but he seems to have a mind of his own. I'm worried that his behavior will become a problem as he grows older, so I was hoping to get some advice on how to better control him. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Hi there! I understand your struggle, as I also have a Doberman who was quite naughty when he was around your puppy's age. Here are a few things that worked for me:
1. Consistency is key: Make sure everyone in the house is on the same page when it comes to training techniques and commands. This will help avoid confusion for your pup and ensure that he doesn't receive mixed signals.
2. Exercise, exercise, exercise: Dobermans are very active dogs and need plenty of exercise to expend their energy. Make sure your puppy is getting adequate physical activity throughout the day, whether it's through walks, playtime, or training sessions.
3. Mental stimulation: Along with physical exercise, mental stimulation is also crucial for Dobermans. You can try puzzle toys, obedience training, or even scent work to give his brain a workout.
4. Patience and positive reinforcement: Training a puppy takes time and patience. Don't get frustrated if your pup doesn't get it right away. Use positive reinforcement techniques like treats, praise, and play to encourage good behavior.
5. Consider a professional trainer: If you're really struggling, it might be worth investing in a professional dog trainer. They can help you identify problem behaviors and provide tailored training plans to address them.
I hope some of these tips help you and your pup. Good luck!