I'm considering getting a new dog and I'm torn between a Doberman and a Rottweiler. I've heard great things about both breeds, but I'm not sure which one would be the better fit for me.
A little bit about my lifestyle - I live in a house with a decent-sized yard and I have a lot of free time to spend with a dog. I'm looking for a breed that is loyal, affectionate and protective of its family. I'm also interested in a breed that is intelligent and easy to train.
I've done some research on both breeds and here are the advantages and disadvantages that I've come across:
- Loyal and protective of its owner
- High level of intelligence and trainability
- Energetic and playful
- Minimal shedding
- Can become anxious and nervous if not socialized properly
- Can be aggressive towards strangers if not trained correctly
- Prone to certain health issues, such as hip dysplasia and heart problems
- Loyal and protective of its family
- Confident and courageous
- Calm and well-mannered indoors
- Good with children
- Can be aggressive towards strangers if not socialized properly
- Prone to certain health issues, such as hip dysplasia and cancer
- High shedding and requires regular grooming
Based on the above information, which breed do you think would be the better fit for me? Any personal experiences with either breed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!