Hi, I recently brought home a 3-month-old Doberman puppy and I am struggling to crate train him. He keeps whining and crying whenever I put him in the crate and it's making me feel bad. I want to make sure I am doing it right and not causing him any distress. Can anyone suggest the best way to crate train a Doberman? Any tips and tricks would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
Hello to all fellow Doberman lovers! I have a 6-year-old Doberman that was relatively easy to crate train, but there are some tips that worked really well for us.
1. Timing is Everything: Try placing your Doberman in the crate when they are tired, either after a walk or a play session, so they're more likely to drift off to sleep.
2. Integration: Once your Doberman is comfortable with their crate, start integrating it into your daily routine, so they know when it's time to go to bed.
3. Make it Fun: Add a chew toy or stuffed animal in the crate to make their experience more enjoyable.
4. Keep the Crate Close: Particularly for puppies, keep the crate close to where you sleep so they can hear and smell you.
5. Gradually Get Them Used to It: We would play with our Doberman near the crate, then gradually entice him closer until he was comfortable climbing up and lying down next to the crate. Once there, we would place him inside with the door open at first, then close the door for a little while.
Remember that crate training is all about creating positive associations with the crate, so your Doberman sees it as a welcome, cozy spot to retire to when they're tired. Good luck with your training!